These Crispy Smashed Potatoes are not your average side dish! They also make a great appetizer drizzled with our garlic-herb oil or topped with your favorite toppings.
Move over mashed potatoes.
These Crispy Smashed Potatoes are about to steal the show. With their tender insides and crispy edges, they’re anything but average. The best part is all of the nooks and crannies you get when you smash the cooked potatoes – this is where you’ll find all of that herbed ghee or olive oil puddling making every bite just as fabulous as the last.
Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner.
Like our nearly famous Crispy Garlic Ranch Roasted Potatoes, these Crispy Smashed Potatoes are a perfect addition to any meal. Try them alongside your favorite egg muffins, homemade sausage patties or even just a couple eggs fried your way. For lunch, add a few to a salad to add substance and flavor. And for dinner? Serve them with everything and anything.
We’re particularly fond of them with this One-Pan Pork Loin with Brussels and Apples or Slow Cooker BBQ Beef (you haven’t lived until you’ve topped these crispy little gems with slow-cooked barbecue beef).
Also makes a great appetizer.
These crispy smashed potatoes aren’t just for meals, in fact, they’re the perfect appetizer because the potatoes can be cooked ahead of time then smashed and roasted just before serving. They’re even addictingly delicious served at room temperature. Serve the garlic-herb oil on the side for some serious dipping, or drizzle over the top and sprinkle with red pepper flakes or flaked sea salt and watch your guests go wild.
For the Potatoes:
For the Garlic-Herb Oil:
- Preheat oven to 450℉.
- Add 1 cup water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add metal rack/trivet or a steaming basket and add potatoes on top.
- Secure lid and cook for 15-17 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove potatoes from Instant Pot. Lightly pat them dry using a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and transfer to a large parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Toss hot potatoes with ghee, oil, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Use a glass with a flat bottom (an old-fashioned or low-ball glass works well), gently press down on potatoes to flatten them to about ½-inch thick.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper and bake 28-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the underside and crisp on the edges.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine garlic-herb oil ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle potatoes with garlic-herb oil just before serving or serve on the side for dipping.
- Serving Size: ~3 oz. potatoes + 1½ Tbsp. oil
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 312mg
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Pin it now and make it later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!