Soft and tender with just enough sweetness, this Gluten-free Banana Bread is sure to please. It’s made with gluten-free baking flour, less sugar, perfectly overripe bananas and of course, we couldn’t resist tossing in chocolate chips. Perfect for serving as part of a breakfast or enjoying with a cup of coffee or as an afternoon snack. We recommend serving it slightly warm and slathering it with a smear of your favorite nut butter.
Always buy extra bananas
Like many, bananas are staple in our homes. This sweet, soft fruit is incredibly versatile and budget-friendly. We love them for smoothies, for snacking, for topping on yogurt or oatmeal and of course for making the best gluten-free banana bread recipe (or another one of our favorite overripe banana baked goods). We never think twice about throwing a few extra bananas in our cart for the soul purpose of using them to bake up something delicious.
This Gluten-free Banana Bread recipe is one we make often in our homes and is perfect for year round baking because bananas are always in season. Banana Bread also makes for a great gift for loved ones, dear friends, parents of a new baby, and anyone who needs a little something delicious to cheer them up.
Gluten-free Banana Bread ingredients
Shop Thrive Market to get the best prices on natural, organic, and specialty foods. PLUS get a free gift valued at $24 when you sign-up! Shop Thrive Market for all of your baking essentials!
How to make The Best Gluten-free Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper for easy removal.
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.
In a medium bowl cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamy. Then add to the dry ingredients along with the mashed bananas. Stir to combine well and then fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, top with chocolates, and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool before slicing into 10-12 even slices.
How to store Gluten-free Banana Bread
- Let cool completely, then store sliced in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
- Alternatively, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
How to Freeze Bread:
- Let bread cool completely at room temperature.
- Arrange cooled slices in a single layer on a baking sheet or dish. Place sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes until the slices are solid (this prevents them from getting squished in the freezer and makes for easy removal).
- Then, place frozen slices fo breads in airtight freezer bags (we like these reusable zip-top bags) or an airtight container and transfer them to the freezer.
- Store in a freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let thaw on the counter or pop in the microwave for a minute or two until warm.
How to make Gluten-free Banana Bread dairy-free
Make this recipe dairy-free with one simple swap. Substitute the butter for melted coconut oil, olive oil or avocado oil. You will also want to be sure you’re adding chocolate chips that are dairy-free such as Enjoy Life! Chocolate Chips.
Can I use all-purpose flour?
Yes, this recipe has been tested with both gluten-free baking flour (Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 and King Arthur Measure-for-Measure) as well as regular all-purpose flour. They all made wonderful loaves of Gluten-free Banana Bread!
If you do not need to make this recipe gluten-free, and you have all-purpose flour on hand, you can still make enjoy this recipe. Most of the gluten-free baked good recipes we create that call for a gluten-free flour blend we also test with regular all-purpose flour.
Other banana recipes to try:
Looking for more ways to use overripe bananas? Check out this post here where we share 12 delicious and healthy overripe banana recipes.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour baking blend (220g) (we use Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 or King Arthur Measure for Measure)*
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (65 g)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (65 g) or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 spotted ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cups or 350 g)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips plus more for top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamy. Then add to the dry ingredients along with the mashed bananas. Stir to combine well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, top with chocolates, and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before slicing into 10-12 even slices.
*If gluten-free is not needed may sub unbleached all-purpose flour (250-260 g)
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Pin it Now, Make it Later
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.